The prestigious Erbacher Steinberg vineyard 300 lies meters from the monastery gate. A new modern winery was built next to it in 2008.
Kloster Eberbach was founded in 1136 by Bernard of Clairvaulx as the first Cistercian monastery on the east bank of the Rhein, on the site of a failed Benedictine settlement. The current structure dates from around this time through to the late 16th Century.
The abbey was a successful economic enterprise through much of its history until the Napoleonic period. It was deconsecrated in 1803 and passed to the Dukes of Nassau, eventually forming part of the Federal State of Hesse from 1945.
Kloster Eberbach has been owned by a charitable foundation since 1998. It is now home to a hotel and restaurant in the vaults. Vinothek Domäne Bergstrasse in the Hessische Bergstrasse region is under the same management.